Friday, April 8, 2011

Sadness abounds

We lost a friend today, a dear friend who has been like a brother. Michael Morita passed beyond this mortal plane, apparently a victim of cancer, although that has not been revealed for certain as yet. I met Mike at the same time I met my Haidee, at the first rehearsal of the Al Lopaka show at Duke Kahanamoku's in the International Market Place in Waikiki, summer of 1971. Mike was the trumpet player, and Haidee was one of two dancers. We became good friends, and that relationship endured until we moved from the Islands, and then over more than 30 years of separation by many miles. Mike became the manager of the brass section of the Royal Hawaiian Band, and as such, was able to offer me work whenever we visited the Isles. He played for our daughter's wedding, and was always quick to be part of whatever event occurred in our family, such as the arrival of a new baby.

We'll miss you, my friend. Aloha, and bon voyage.

No comments: